Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Hey everyone! Well let me just say it's been a BUSY few weeks. Basically the weather has gotten warmer, and NOBODY wants to stay inside for too long. As it is, I'm tapping out this blog while I procrastinate cooking dinner. It's a brisk 85 degrees out there, and this is the kind of weather that makes even the animals lazy. Speaking of animals, we added 3 new members to our "herd". 
That's turkeys folks. For now, they're babies, but once they get a wee bit bigger we can set them loose in our yard and they can fatten up on grasshoppers and various other bugs. We're not going to eat these guys though, they're already like family. Next week, we'll be getting guinies. They're kinda like chickens but not and they eat the ticks and sand spurs we have going on around here. Can't wait! 

Changing gears, we went to a few yard sales last weekend, and found some new cabinets for our kitchen. Not a complete set mind you but when you're on a budget, you have to get the things you want in pieces. I think they look nice. 

Please excuse the mess. I'm currently a slob.


Yesterday, we finished up our garden. Well ok, not completely finished, because we still have the potatoes to go into the ground, but for the most part, done! Macgyver put up the fence, while the kiddos and I planted the plants. Hopefully in a few months, we will have fresh tasty veggies and a smaller grocery bill. We are growing tomatoes ( of course ), cucumbers, banana peppers, potatoes, squash, strawberries and carrots. We also planted a peach tree, but if you did around my past blogs, you will find the post about that. We also learned our lesson last year with the weeds, and are trying out this fabric you put down to protect the plants. All in all, it was a lot of back breaking work, but hopefully worth it in the end. 
It looks small in that pic, but trust me, it's big. Bigger than last year anyway. 


So today being mother's day, I have been forcing myself to think about what it means to be a mother, and I came up with a few things. See list below.
1. You will wake up to the sound of kids fighting over the last doughnut, not birds chirping.
2. You will find yourself using the phrase " stop eating your boogers" a lot.
3. Kids meals will never be enough to satisfy a kid. They will always look to your plate to fill them up instead.
4. No matter how much fun they had the day before, kids will ALWAYS tell you that you never do anything for them and whine because they're bored.
5. They say the darndest things, usually around other grownups and usually those grownups do not have kids. 


That's just a few that happened to me TODAY. But I would not trade it for anything in the world. 
So now with all that being said, I must cook dinner for my brood, get them cleaned, and then fight the good fight for bedtime. Until next time.




 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's day Jamie! I'm going to eat your turkeys :)

    ReplyDelete